ATV Tires & Wheels:
UTV Tires & Wheels:
Shop By Size:
ATV & UTV Parts:
Frequently Asked Questions regarding ATV tire sizing and selection:
How do I read ATV tire sizes?
ATV tire explaination: ATV tires are listed in a set of three numbers, generally separated by dashes (25-10-12), or by an 'x' (25x10x12) or a combination of the two (25x10-12).
- Tire Diameter = 25"
- Tire Width = 10"
- Fits Wheel Diameter = 12"
Notes: The width of the tire is a ideally a 2-4 inches wider than the width of the wheel!
||How do I read ATV wheel sizing specifications?
Example of a Utility ATV Wheel:
12 x 7 4/156 4+3
- Wheel Diameter = 12"
- Wheel Width = 7"
- Number of Wheel Bolt Holes = 4
- Spacing of bolt holes = 156 mm (measured from center of one bolt hole across center of wheel to opposite bolt hole)
- Wheel Backspacing = 4" mounting surface to the inside wheel bead and 3" mounting surface to the outside wheel bead
- Wheel Offset = +10mm , describes the same thing as backspacing, only is referenced from the centerline of the wheel and measured in millimeters. Positive '+' designates outward from the centerline, negative '-' designates inward.
The terms 'Backspacing' and 'Offset' are commonly confused and interchanged with each other.
Conclusion: A wheel with a 4+3 back spacing will sit wider than a wheel with a 5+2 backspacing by 1" per wheel, 2" wider across the entire track width of the machine.
Example of a Sport Quad Wheel:
10 x 8 4/110 3+5
- Wheel Diameter = 10"
- Wheel Width = 8"
- Number of Bolt Holes = 4
- Spacing of bolt holes = 110 mm (measured from center of one bolt hole across center of wheel to opposite bolt hole)
- Wheel Backspacing = 3" mounting surface to the inside wheel bead and 5" mounting surface to the outside wheel bead
Conclusion: A 3+5 rim will sit wider on a quad than a 4+4 rim; 1" wider per wheel, 2" wider across track width.
||I don't know what wheel or tire size I need for my ATV. Is there a way I can find out?
Yes, please check our online application chart or fill out the form below or email email@example.com
||What is the largest tire can I safely fit on my factory ATV without a lift kit?
While we get asked this question most frequently, the decision is ultimately yours! If you are interested in taller tires, first realize these things:
- Larger tires may void your manufacturer's warranty.
- Larger tires may cause a loss of bottom end power, due to higher gearing and increased rotating mass (weight of tires).
- Larger tires cause more stress on drive train and suspension components.
- Larger tires will raise the center of gravity (CG) of your machine.
If you are aware of the above statements and ready to proceed, our recommendation is as follows:
**Realize that these are only our suggested guidelines. You will most likely have no problems following these guidelines, but for some minor fitment issues may still exist. These are published only to assist our customers in selecting proper sizes.**
- For machines equipped with 25" stock tires & LESS than 450cc engine displacements, we recommend only increasing tire diameter size 1".
- For machines equipped with 25" stock tires and MORE than 450cc engine displacements, you can most likely increase the tire diameter two full inches (Example: 25" to 27" tall tires).
||Can I put tires wider than 10" on the front of my Utility ATV?
We recommend to limit the front tire width to 10" or less on an ATV or side-by-side. In addition to causing more potential interference with suspension components and the body, wider tires also require more steering effort on your part. Generally an ATV with wider tires will also tend to "wander" aimlessly over trails. The bottom line is that you will fight the bike more, excerpt more effort in steering, and enjoy your ride less!
Can wide tires physically be mounted to wheels? Yes, they can on larger machines, although you may need wheel spacers and possibly a lift kit for clearance.
||What are the advantages of 12" diameter wheels versus 14" diameter wheels?
Advantages with the 12" wheels:
- Traditional wheel size that most tire sizes will fit.
- Are less susceptible to damage, especially in rocky terrain.
- Are lighter weight than a 14" tire/wheel combination.
Advantages with the 14" (and larger) wheels:
- Offer better steering response and corner handling due to less tire roll in sidewall of the tire.
- Are a larger diameter wheel, which many people think look better on a machine, especially with larger tire sizes.
- Looks fantastic!
Have questions? No problem. We are here to help!
Site Mailing List
Sign Guest Book
View Guest Book
Copyright 2019. Mud-Throwers is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. No portion of this website may be reproduced without written permission. All other trademarks, product names, and logos contained in this site are the property of their respective owners. Buy cheap ATV mud tires and atv tire wheel packages at www.mudthrowers.com. Our ATV tire store lineup includes Interco Interforce, Kenda Bear Claw HTR, Pro Armor Crawler, ITP, Mega Mayhem, ITP Blackwater, STI Roctane, Maxxis Bighorn and Maxxis Carnivore tires.